Galaxy Press’ Literacy Campaign
• 1 in 4 children in America grow up without learning how to read.
• 2 out of 3 students who cannot read proficiently by the end of 4th grade will end up in jail or on welfare. Over 70 percent of America’s inmates cannot read above a 4th grade level.
• 75 percent of Americans who receive food stamps perform at the lowest 2 levels of literacy, and 90 percent of high school dropouts are on welfare.
• 16 to 19 year-old teenage girls who live at or below the poverty level and have below average literacy skills are 6 times more likely to have children out of wedlock than girls their age who read proficiently.
• 70 million dollars is reportedly spent by the healthcare industry every year due to low literacy levels.
“The declining impact of education on our adult population was the biggest surprise for us, and we just don’t have a good explanation for it.” —Mark Schneider, Commissioner of Education
“There is a tremendous literacy problem among high school students that is not talked about. It’s a little depressing. The colleges are left holding the bag, trying to teach students who have challenges.” —Dolores Pernnin, Reading Expert Columbia University
Phase 1: Our Solution
• Inspire the love of reading through L. Ron Hubbard’s fiction works!
• Providing the high quality L. Ron Hubbard books to children and teens will increase their interest in reading. This will assist with improving their literacy and reach to learn.
A three-year study was conducted with approximately 600 students, using the Stories from the Golden Age books and audiobooks, at middle, junior high and high school levels. The results were rave.
Here is what just a few had to say:
“The story shows that people can follow their dreams no matter what their size is, and that their size really doesn’t matter.” —Student, McAllen, TX
“The glossary in the book helped me to understand the words and the story. The audiobook helped to explain the story to me too. I would recommend these to other classmates, as they are fun!” —Student, San Bernardino, CA
“The book and audio combination was great for me. I was able to focus on the character more than the words. I thought it was also helpful in pronouncing the words. I think the story is wonderful the way it is and will help anybody receive a fun learning experience.” —Student, Sarasota, FL
“This material is just awesome. It’s very unusual too and such material that is not only entertaining and useful to keep the kids engaged, but also can classify as great literature.” —Teacher K. L., Boston, MA
“I’ve made these books required reading in my class, and I have other teachers that want these books and audiobooks as well. I’m passing them along.” —Teacher J. P., Quincy, MS
“I played an audiobook for my class and my students were really moved. I don’t think any of these students have been exposed to live theater in their lives. This is what it was like for them.” —Teacher B. Q., Wilmington, CA
Galaxy Press has partnered with the US Marine Corps Reserves Toys for Tots Literacy Program, Boy Scouts of America, Boys & Girls Club, Young Adult Library Services Association
Help support our youth’s literacy: